Monday, September 17, 2018

Sewing Sisters - All About Needles

Our first Sewing Sisters event was held this past Saturday.  As Diane A said - 'What can you possibly teach me about needles? ' Well, Diane was pleasantly surprised after the class was over as she learned a number of invaluable tips regarding sewing machine needles.

I learned an invaluable tip as well from Linda B and I am going to share it first in this blog post.  I have been throwing away all of my used sewing machine needles- 'oy, the clutter'.  But no more.  

In the Hari-Kuyo ceremony, Japanese women gather once a year on February 8th at Shinto shrines or Buddhist temples to thank their worn out needles and pins for good service.

The celebration is known as the Festival of Broken Needles. The burial of the needles is meant to bring rest to the needles and give thanks for their service. Also another aspect is to give value to the 'small things' and not be wasteful. So now I will save my needles in a container and bury them on February 8, 2019 and celebrate their part in my creative inspiration.

I shared a few Pfaff projects from the blog post. One of my favorite is this 'Needle Minder project' from Melanie L.  Her suggestions are to use the pocket to hold the 'MyPad for Needles" organizer and create little pockets to hold your package of needles.  I added the lettering for my favorite varieties with my Pfaff icon machine. You can find the link for the project HERE. The link includes both the printed directions and the embroidery design.


Several of these are still available- you can pick one up at Scrap & Sew today!

I also featured the Cutwork needles (Teacher's Pet) and Two free projects from Pfaff.

HERE is the link to the Pillowcase project.  This is my version of the pillowcase, a perfect addition to my spare bedroom.


Another great cutwork project from the Pfaff blog can be found HERE.  



Last, but not least is my finished project from a Karen Charles event.  In this section I demonstrated how to sew pintucks with the Five Groove Pintuck foot and a 2.5 twin needle. Sandy C. suggested this should be a class and my creative is spinning on this one.


 It looked a little dull so I added the paint with the Tsuneko paints.


Here is another pintuck sample using a 6.0 twin needle on a blank hand towel.  The top design is an embroidery design found in the Premier+2 software.  The bottom are stitches from the Pfaff icon.


This lecture/demo is free to everyone and the next one will be "Going in Circles" on October 20th from 10-12:00 p.m.  You do not want to miss it!
















No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Valentine's Day!

Well, not exactly but it is on the horizon.  This is my second favorite holiday and I love making all of the heart designs and of course the...