Monday, September 3, 2018

Tissue Box Thread Catcher tutorial

These thread catcher boxes are a perfect addition to your sewing space.  If you are like me, I have threads and small scraps all over the place.  To neaten up my sewing area, I stitched one and keep it right next to my icon.

If you missed getting your free pattern at class preview, stop by the store and pick one up.  If you do not live in the area, I have the pattern dimensions listed below.


9.25" from fold to cut edge

 

8.5" from top edge to bottom and 2" boxes cut in the corners.


Supplies: (this makes 2 tissue box thread catchers)
1 Fat quarter
Aurifil thread for construction
Empty upright tissue box.

Step #1- Fold the FQ vertically so it measures 9" x 22"




Step #2 - Pin the pattern close to the top and cut out pattern.  Re-pin the pattern again and cut out your second cover.

Step #3 -Press top hem 1/4 " , then 1/4 " again.  Pressing now makes it easier to topstitch in step #5.




Step #4 - Stitch back seam with a 1/4" seam, reversing at each end.  Press to one side.

Step #5 - Stitch the top hem, stitching close to the folded edge.


Step #6 - Fold the fabric right sides together so the raw edge of the bottom seams match.  Stitch with a 1/4 "  seam.  Reverse at each end.


Step #7 - With right sides together, line up the back seam with the bottom seam and stitch 1/4 ".  Repeat with the other bottom seam.



Step #8- Turn right side out and insert empty tissue box.


Set it next to your machine and throw all of your thread snips in here.  Believe me, your floor with thank you!


Make it SEW!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Valentine's Day!

Well, not exactly but it is on the horizon.  This is my second favorite holiday and I love making all of the heart designs and of course the...