Rather than trace my feet for the shape, I went to the Dollar Store and found a pair of slippers that would fit my feet. I removed the sole and used that as a pattern and added an extra 1/2 ". In hindsight, I would not add 1/2 ", maybe 3/8" instead.
I cut 4 soles out of fabric, making sure to reverse correctly for a right and left slipper. I used In-R-Form double sided fusible and pressed them together making the base of the slipper. The next time I would be more accurate in shaping my design.
For the next step, I removed the top of the slipper and turned it inside and made a pattern for the top of my slipper.
I cut out a larger square of fabric to embroider the lips from the design download on the top part of the slipper. I then cut out both the top and lining following my pattern and pressed fusible fleece to each piece. I stitched the pieces together at the top and bottom using a 1/4 " seam. Then turn the top piece right side out, press and stitch the sides closed.
The last step was to stitch the bias trim to the outside of the slipper following the original directions. I created the bias trim, cutting strips at 2 1/4" and stitching them together. After that last step I actually stitched the sole of the Dollar Store slippers to the bottom of mine. I loved the fact that I was able to stitch through all of the layers smoothly with my icon.
Here is the link for both the project directions and the design files. This was a truly fun project to create and I hope you will give it a try.
Director of Design and Creativity