Friday, July 24, 2020

A Vintage Apron for 21st Century Cooking

Wow- I can not believe it is Friday all ready!  This week really got away from me.

My apron was finished on Monday, but it seems it is now the day to share it....well.  I designed this vintage apron to coordinate with my Home Sweet Home panel table topper. I had in my mind, ruffles and a block as the pocket.  The rest just evolved.


It is hard to see it here but the apron has ruffles on the top of the pocket as well as the top band.  The extra long ties can be wrapped around your waist (not mine!) for a cute bow front.


My inspiration for the apron came from the coordinating fabric for this panel. I was orginally going to use it for the apron fabric but I didn't like the 'look'. So I designed it according to the picture I had in my mind.


I was pretty excited to dig out my 4mm rolled hem foot and my ruffler attachment to save some time during the construction of my apron.  Starting the rolled hem is always the challenge but here is a quick method to use to start stitching your fabric.


I finished the raw edges of the ruffle and the ties with this foot and was done in no time! You can see that it stitches a nice straight edge with a very small seam.  This foot is defintely worth the money and a few little tricks will make hemming with it a breeze.


Do you own a ruffler attachment? No?  This great little attachment is well worth the money as it saves so much time and frustration.

The irony is that this little attachment has not changed much un the last 100 years.  I remembering finding one of these in my grandmother's treadle machine. The Singer Featherweight included a box of 6-7 additional feet and this was always included.


The lever in the front can be adjusted for the distance of the pleats and can be attached to the fabric at the same time.


However, this is not what I did!😁 I cut 3 strips of fabirc 3.25" wide x wof.  I then sewed them end to end along the short side.  I finished one edge with the rolled hem and ruffled/pleated the other edge. Quick and easy!


Here is a close up of the ruffle and yes, the 3 strips fit perfectly to the apron.  I did do a test sample to adjust the pleats, but even I was surprised!


It takes me awhile to design and write a pattern, so If you would like me to make this apron into a pattern, leave me a comment in the comment section.  Stop by the store to pick up the panel and fabrics before they disappear!
















No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Valentine's Day!

Well, not exactly but it is on the horizon.  This is my second favorite holiday and I love making all of the heart designs and of course the...