Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Patriotic Serger Projects

I have been working on the worksheets for the serger classes and I remembered the patritoic trees that I made last summer and decided to share the idea with everyone.


There are several blog posts that I found but the one that worked best for me was this one at Sew Much Ado here.



I mixed it up a bit by cutting 2 1/2 " fabric strips and sewed them end to end. I then set my serger to a 3-thread rolled edge following my machine directions.  


I used Maxi lock Stretch thread in the upper loop with a rolled hem and Floriani polyester thread in the right needle and lower looper.



We love this thread because it is fuller and withstands heat better.  Here you can see the polyester and the Maxi Lock Stretch survive the heat test but the woolly nylon melts.


Once finished it fills in the rolled edge nicely as it springs back. 

I took a few pictures of my Christmas tree version so I could share the steps when I made a set at Christmas.  Oh well....

Once I had finished with the strips, I then set my machine up for gathering. The new Viking Amber Air 400 and Pfaff Admire Air 5000 both have extra feet and the gathering foot is included in the Utility Foot package.



I set the machine following the guidelines in the package.

Once I finished gathering all of the strips, I followed her directions and started layering the strips on the cone, using T-pins to secure.


I have a hodgepoge of pictures but I think you get the idea!


I also made a smaller set of snowman cones using the same concept but this time I used polyester thread.

I picture this project idea for several of my decorating projects. Don't you?  


Stop back again this week for a few more Patritotic projects - maybe I will finish by Saturday?






No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Valentine's Day!

Well, not exactly but it is on the horizon.  This is my second favorite holiday and I love making all of the heart designs and of course the...