Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Cutting out the Cupcake Frosting and Liner

Welcome back.  Thanks for joining us in this second lesson using your Silhouette Cameo.  If you are following along, then yesterday you loaded the SVG design and set up your mat for one color for the frosting and one for the liner.  



I decided to mix it up a bit and use a charm square pack for my fabric selection.  I purchased this bright and colorful pack to make my granddaughter a baby quilt- well yeah- that didn't happen!  I think it does feel like spring and I need a color boost right now.

I selected my prints and tried to combine them for a pleasing effect.  You may want to test them out out in your design first and play around with changing designs and colors. 


Once I decided on the final color combinations, I set up my mat in the software to match the actual mat that I was cutting. Here is a quick tutorial in how to do that.

Oops- frosting not liner - you have to watch to find the mistake. :)

                           

Here is what your mat should look like in the software.


Getting Ready to Cut

#!-  The first step is to cut the frosting pieces 4" x 3".  If you have a directional print, the 4" is the width of the cut and make sure the design is correct.  The liner pieces are 3" x 2" with the width of the piece at 3".  If you are making the medium sized design, count the grid squares to determine your fabric size.  The pattern  says 6" x 4.5" for the frosting and 4.5" x 3" for the liner.  I do find that she wastes more fabric than I would.

I have arranged them here to give me a better idea of the color flow.



#2- The next step is to cut the Heat n Bond Lite to fit your fabric pieces. Cut 5 pieces 4" x 3" and 5 pieces 3" x 2".  



Then press the Heat n Bond Lite to the back side of each of your fabric pieces.  I like to use my pressing mat and my Steamfast mini iron to do this.



Cutting the Cupcake Pieces

I placed all of the pieces onto the mat following the screen in my software. I did not remove the paper backing before I placed it on the mat.The mat I am using is one of the newer mats and is not set up with a 1 inch grid.  Note- I do not like this new mat.


Notice that I have the corect amount of spacing between the colors to match the mat exactly.


Turn on your machine and connect it to your computer/laptop.  If you are set up for Bluetooth, you do not need the cord that comes with your machine.  Insert the black ratchet blade.  Note- they no longer make a fabric blade which is the blue one.  Remember they are the same exact blade and the different color was to help you distinguish one for paper and one for fabric.  They work the same.

If you have not yet set the blade to a cutting depth, I use 5 -Fabric thick- and it seems to work pretty good.  But each machine is different.

Here is a tutorial to help you if you need helpin setting up the blade.



Pictured above is a Cameo 2.  If you have a Cameo 3 you will place the blade in the second tool holder.  You can see my black ratchet blade in the tool holder on the right.


Once you have this loaded into your machine, then select the SEND button.

#1,  Select all of your cupcake designs.  Change the selection to Tool #2 - the blue circle and your designs will be outlined in blue.  Very important!

#2 - Select the Fabric option, Thick Canvas and make sure the Cut symbol and the ratchet blade are selected.  Very important as well.

#3- Slow the speed down to 3 with a blade depth of 5.


#4 - Then hit the SEND bottom at the bottom of the screen.

Here are my pieces all cut and ready to embroider.


Then before I shut everything off, I cut out my background squares and backed them with Pellon Shape Flex.  This adds another layer for the embroidery stitches and prevents any color bleed through when the pillow is finished.

I cut 5 - 6.5" x 6.5" squares of white tone on tone fabric. Now I am ready to embroidered the designs tomorrow.  See you then!


Please feel free to leave a comment below and share your Silhouette experience.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Valentine's Day!

Well, not exactly but it is on the horizon.  This is my second favorite holiday and I love making all of the heart designs and of course the...